Ministry of Human Resource Development under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology has initiated the National Digital Library (NDL) project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. It is being developed at IIT Kharagpur.
- Educational materials are available for users ranging from primary to post-graduate levels.
- NDL has been designed to benefit all kinds of users like students (of all levels), teachers, researchers, librarians, library users, professionals, differently abled users and all other lifelong learners.
- Information can be personalized based on the education level, choice of language, difficulty level, media of content and such other factors. This is thus like a ‘customised service’ provided in a 24×7 integrated environment where learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time.
- Repository hosts contents from multiple subject domains like Technology, Science, Humanities, Agriculture and others.
- More than 60 types of learning resources are available – books, articles, manuscripts, video lectures, thesis, etc.
- Items are available in more than 70 languages.
- Repository integrates contents from different Indian Institutional Repositories.
How to access
- Users can access the National Digital Library – https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
- The NDL mobile app for Android can be accessed at – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mhrd.ndl&hl=en/
- The NDL system is accessible to all users for general browsing. However, one needs to register with a user id and password and login using those for accessing some classified materials.
Source : National Digital Library