- Which of the following groups of rivers have their source of origin in Tibet?
A.Brahmaputra, Ganges and Sutlej
B.Ganges, Sutlej and Yamuna
C.Brahmaputra, Indus and Sutlej
D.Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej
- Which of the following measures are effective for soil conservation in India?
I. Avoiding crop rotation
III. Encouraging the use of chemical fertilizers
IV.Limiting shifting cultivation
A.I and II
B.II and IV
C.III and IV
D.I, II and III
- Which of the following crops needs maximum water per hectare?
- The watershed between India and Myanmar is formed by
A.the Naga hills
B.the Garo hills
D.the Jaintia hills
Answer: Option A
- The originating in the Himalayan mountain complex consists of how many distinct drainage systems of the Indian Subcontinent?
- The outer Himalayas lie between
A.the lease Himalayas and the Indo Gangetic plain
B.the foot hills and the Indo Gangetic plain
C.the greater Himalayas and the lesser Himalayas
D.Indo-Gangetic plains and the peninsula
- Which of the following geographical features have played a great unifying role in strengthening the forces of homogeneity of the Indian people?
I. The expanses of water surrounding the peninsula
II. The Himalayan Mountains
III. The vastness of the country
IV. The presence of the Indian ocean
C.I and II
D.I, II, III and IV
- Which of the following drainage systems fall into Bay of Bengal?
A.Ganga, Brahmaputra and Godavari
B.Mahanadi, Krishna and Cauvery
C.Luni, Narnada and Tapti
D.Both (a) and (b)
- The oldest oil refinery in India is at
B.Haldia, near Kolkata
C.Koyali, near Baroda
- The oldest mountains in India are
- The Shimla Convention is an agreement that sets
A.Shimla as a tourist spot
B.Shimla as the capital of Himachal Pradesh
C.boundary between India and Tibet
D.None of the above
- Which of the following events took place in the Cenozoic era?
A.Formation of the rockies, India collides with Asia and the formation of the Himalayas and the Alps
B.Formation of the Appalachians and central European mountains
C.Splitting of India from Antarctic
D.Breaking up of Pangaea
- The oldest oil field in India is the ____ field, in ____
B.Bombay High, Maharashtra
- Unlike other parts of the Indian Coast, fishing industry has not developed along the Saurashtra coast because
A.there are few indentions suitable for fishing
B.of overwhelming dependence on agriculture and animal husbandary
C.the sea water is relatively more saline
D.of industrial development leading to widespread pollution of coastal area
- The mountain building in Himalayas began
A.about 45 million years ago
B.when the continental plates of India and Eurasia converged on each other
C.both (a) and (b)
D.None of the above
- Which of the following groups of rivers originate from the Himachal mountains?
A.Beas, Ravi and Chenab
B.Ravi, Chenab and Jhelum
C.Sutlej, Beas and Ravi
D.Sutlej, Ravi and Jhelum
- Which of the following groups of states has the largest deposits of iron ore?
A.Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka
B.Bihar and Orissa
C.Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra
D.West Bengal and Assam
- Which of the following union territories of India has the highest density of population per sq km?
- which atomic power station in India is built completely indigenously?
- The south-west monsoon contributes ____ of the total rain in India.
- The most plausible explanation for the location of the Thar desert in western India is
A.the obstruction caused by the Aravalis to the rain-bearing wind that proceeds to the Ganga Valley
B.the evaporation of moisture by heat
C.the absence of mountains to the north of Rajasthan to cause orographic rainfall in it
D.that the moisture carried by the South-west monsoon is driven away by the dry upper air current
- The northern boundary of the peninsular plateau of Indian runs parallel to the Ganga and the Yamuna from Rajmahal hills to a point near
- Which of the following food grain crops occupies the largest part of the cropped area in India?
A.Barley and maize
B.Jowar and bajra
- The number of major languages, recognized in the Indian Union as official language, are
- The oldest rocks in India are reported from
A.Dharwar region, Karnataka
B.Aravalli range, Rajasthan
C.Vindhyan range, Madhya Pradesh
D.Siwalik range, Punjab